Monday, October 11, 2010

India: No Weddings, No Whitewater

By Julia
Pelling, Sikkim, India

  I'm not sure if anyone is keeping track, but the astute reader may have noticed we are failing quite spectacularly at the goals of our blog's namesake.   I just wanted to take the opportunity to say that it's not for our lack of trying.

Weddings:  In Turkey it was Ramadan and now in India I'm informed that he wedding season starts in mere weeks.  Similarly to the summer wedding season in America, late fall is considered an auspicious time to wed.  "After Diwali, you won't even be able to walk through the streets without running into a wedding processional," an Indian acquaintance said.  Thanks, guy.
  So much for the colors, the food, the tradition.  I'm bummed, because I've always wanted to attend an Indian wedding in India.  But with a little luck, we will be able to hit the Nepali wedding season while we're there.

Via IndianProposal.com
Traditionally, the wedding processional includes the groom on a white horse, via genevievenislyblog.com
via friedgreenonions.blogspot.com

Whitewater: Tom attempted to book rafting trips in both Rishikesh and Darjeeling in India, but due to the late monsoon this year the rivers are running dangerously high.  Again, by the time we get to Nepal, hopefully the monsoon waters will have receded to runnable levels. 

Via allindiatravelsinfo.com

1 comment:

  1. We (Tim, Mary Lynn, Lisa and I) have concluded that levitation may supersede any necessity to acquire either weddings or whitewater in India...congratulations!

    ReplyDelete