Friday, July 30, 2010

I'm Eating for Three

By Tom
Jinotega, Nicaragua


After getting the results back from the medical tech's office, it turns out I have not just an intestinal parasite, but also a pathenogenic gut bacteria. So I'm currently on a cocktail of medications trying to kill off the freeloaders that have been eating all of my food. At the start of the trip, I was on the last hole on my belt (although, to be fair, I was a little chunky at that time.) Since we've started traveling, I bypassed the second belt hole and went straight to the third and paused briefly. And over the last couple weeks while everyone but me has been absorbing nutrients in my lower GI-tract, I am now putting the buckle through the forth hole. I'd better not get any skinnier because the belt only has 5 holes! Party time's over, pathogens; I'm eating my own food!


We're still working on the farm up in the hills above Jinotega in Northern Nicaragua. For 4-5 hours each morning, we build stairs or fences or just do general maintenance along with a three local Nicaraguans. The place is rustic; no electricity, cold water, pooping into a bucket... that sort of thing. But the view is incredible and we've been doing a lot of cooking and reading and walking. We spent a rainy morning recently whittling coffee plant sticks for a fence and making wedding plans. It's been nice to have some quiet down time and to stay in the same place for a while.



Sadly, the adaptor to our camera is down so we can't upload photos, but here is one from the website of the place we're staying, taken from the veranda. We'll have a new adaptor soon and we'll upload some of the beautiful photos we've taken of the area.

No comments:

Post a Comment