Saturday, March 26, 2011

The Odyssey

By Julia
Auckland, New Zealand

Even his griefs are a joy long after to one that remembers all that he wrought and endured.
Homer, The Odyssey

   New Zealand has given Tom and I its fair share of twists and turns, but despite the setbacks (stomach ulcer, two unroadworthy cars, earthquakes, dwindling travel funds…), NZ  has still managed to leave us with a favorable impression.  The last two and half months have seemed like a journey within a journey- the home stretch. 
Our route around New Zealand
  Every major step during our New Zealand leg has seemed like a challenge to get us closer to home.  From the broken-down-car saga to crossing the Cook Straight, every mile closer to Auckland seemed fraught with just a little more peril than the mile before.  We are so close to making it home in one piece.

 If you are ever lucky enough to come to New Zealand, you will find that what this small nation lacks on a grand scale it makes up for in sheer approachability.  It may not have the biggest mountains or the most cutting-edge cities, but I think it says a lot about a place when the birds are tame enough to come tug at your shoelaces.  Kiwis (the people, but possibly the bird as well) are immeasurably friendly and have a good sense of humor to boot.   Every time we ran into trouble, it seemed there was a smiling Kiwi (again, a person) waiting to help us out.

Bill, the Kiwi who towed our first car back to town
  And throughout this journey has been our dear, sweet Sylvester at the finish line.  Our Penelope.  It would be embarrassing beyond words to divulge how much time Tom and I have spent waxing poetic about our dog.  But the truth is we miss him and getting home to pet his “big dumb head”, as we refer to it, has been heavy on our minds these past weeks.  Dog owners know how we feel – parents may have some idea too.

  Even as I type this, I feel tired.  Not road-weary, but exhausted because today I toured Auckland with a Kiwi who Tom and I met on the Heaphy Track named Jon.   Because inviting us into his home wasn’t enough, Jon spent the day taking us all over the city – to the top of Mount Eden for view from a volcano, to Auckland Museum to see the Maori exhibits, to the wharf to see the America’s Cup boats docked, and finally to local’s spot, Piha Beach, for a run in the surf with his roommate’s dog.  I am the kind of satisfied tired that you feel after coming home from a day of skiing. 

Hot fries beachside
  Luckily, I’ll have a twelve and a half hour flight from Auckland to LAX tomorrow to sleep off all the fun I’ve had in New Zealand.  And in case that’s not enough, the five and a half hour jump to JFK will give me more time to cat nap.  I’ll need my rest – Monday, after all, is the first day of the rest of my life.

Our Penelope

No comments:

Post a Comment