By Tom
Stowe, Vermont
"No one realizes how beautiful it is to travel until he comes home and rests his head on his old familiar pillow." -Lin Yutang
"No one realizes how beautiful it is to travel until he comes home and rests his head on his old familiar pillow." -Lin Yutang
I woke up late in the morning, feeling rested and content. Big fat snowflakes were falling outside our window. The bed was warm, clean and comfortable, and smelled delightful. I rolled over and snuggled with Julia who was wearing new clean underwear and a t-shirt noticeably absent of holes. My soft, furry dog came to the edge of the bed and put his warm, wet nose under the blankets. After cuddling with Sylvester, we all went downstairs and had pancakes with real maple syrup. I couldn't believe it.
We were home.
![]() |
| "Why, you've been able to return home this whole time! Just click your heals together and say "The head gasket's busted again!" |
Perhaps the best and the worst aspect of travel is returning home again when it's all over. How can ordinary life ever compare with the people and places you encounter on the road? It's hard to believe you have to say goodbye to it all.
![]() |
| "Goodbye! Goodbye! Goodbye!" |
What the hell happened? Was it all a dream? Where were the goats, the ghats, and the Himalayas? Where were the teal, tropical waters, the motorbikes, and the mosques? Where was I??
![]() |
| "...And you were there. And you were there. And you, too..." |
On the other hand .... Arriving home is like all of the Christmases and birthdays in your life combined into one. You get everything you've ever gotten in your life again! All my clothes! My own dishes, knives, pots and pans! My favorite mug, my favorite sweater! My own guitar! My books! My own towel! My own bed and shower and toilet! My own dog!!! I can buy food now and not have to carry it from place to place. I can put it in ...wait for it... a refrigerator! I can get to know people without saying goodbye to them forever the next day or the next week. Instead of just spending money, I can actually make money! (At least in theory.)
There hasn't been a single moment since we arrived in Stowe that I haven't been grateful to be home. To not have to decide where we're going and what we're doing for the day. To not have to live out of a backpack or to share a bathroom. To drive myself around (on the right side of the road!) at speeds I deem to be slower than insanely homicidal. Taking Sylvester out cross-country skiing, visiting with family, and getting to know my new community have all been immensely enjoyable.
So what now? Well, I don't think we'll be jetting off on another round the world trip any time soon. For a long time now, we've been excited about settling down in Northern Vermont and now we get to do it. But does that mean we'll never take an extended trip again in our lives?
We'll see...
![]() |
| In memory of Whip. Some bellies are just too big for this world. |





Glad you are both back! I really enjoyed watching your travels, enjoy the spring!
ReplyDeleteJamie